Subject: RE: [lojban] On a number of parts of threads and single threads disguised as several

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:16:55 -0400

At 03:37 PM 07/27/2001 +0100, And Rosta wrote:
>The reason why Lojban List remains a single list (not counting Jbosnu),
>rather than lojban list + lojban-tech, is that Lojbab is opposed to
>splitting the list. His preferences appear to be (1) technical discussion
>doesn't happen, (2) it happens on Lojban list, (3) it happens on Lojban-tech
>list. (1) is unreasonable, so it is down to Lojbab that we have (2) rather
>than (3).

Lojbab is not opposed to technical discussion. I wish it were minimized, 
because it detracts from people actually using the language (since my last 
posting on this topic, Cowan has expressed his opinion that the appropriate 
way to fill in the gaps of the refgrammar is a chrestomathy of approved 
usages; we will no doubt be discussing this at LogFest). There is at times 
a lot of energy thrown into technical discussion that goes nowhere, whereas 
Jorge has certainly found that he has more effect on language usage by 
using the language to the point that people follow his usage patterns, than 
he will ever have in technical discussion.

I oppose a tech list primarily because I do not want the loss of critical 
mass on the main list, especially if it means that all of the experienced 
people working the technical list no longer pay attention to the regular 
list. I would welcome it if there was a foolproof way of getting a mailing 
list to sort itself into technical and beginner posts and other categories 
so that people could filter what they don't want easily, but that is not 
likely at least while we are using a commercial mail host. (If we had our 
own mailing list host, we could in theory use software at the host to 
standardize subject lines to include filterable codes.)

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org