Subject: RE: [lojban] Tidying notes on {goi}

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 00:13:30

la and cusku di'e

>I must have misunderstood. I glorked that the idea was that "ci da poi
>prenu prami re da" would mean "There are exactly three people such
>that each of the three loves some two of the three".

You got it right. I find that it is a horrible abuse of notation,
and I was just trying to find out whether it can even work logically.

If {naku roda ... su'oda} ends up not equivalent to
{su'oda naku ... su'oda} then I definitely don't like it.

Also, I'm not sure I buy the argument that natlangs do it that way.
The closest English for the above is "three people love two",
which in no way requires that the two be part of the three.

Similarly you can say things like "some species of elephant are
native to Africa, some to Asia and none to America", where obviously
the second "some" and the "none" are restricted to "species of
elephant", not to the first "some species of elephant".

In English you need to add an "of them" to make the second
quantifier be restricted to the selection of the first. Otherwise
the second quantifier is simply restricted to the same whole
restriction of the first. I think that's the "natural"
interpretation for Lojban too.

To get the other meaning we need a way of referring collectively
to several previous referents, and we need this for other (somehow
related) cases, such as this: "John met Mary at the bar and then
they went to the store." How do we do that "they", which refers to
two sumti in two different places? We don't have any pro-sumti for
that kind of thing.

I ran into this problem several times in the Alice translation. The
way I handled it was using {le remei}, {le cimei}, an so on. So:

la djan penmi la meris le barja ibabo le remei cu klama le zarci

Something similar can be done with the "three people love two of them"
case:

ci da poi prenu cu prami re lu'a le cimei

and similarly:

ci nanmu cu nerkla le barja i re le cimei cu klama le barjyjbu
i pa le remei cu cpedu lo'e ladru

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp