Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Editorial comment

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:44:47

la adam cusku di'e

>"vo'a", like a second, unquantified "da", indicates each of the
>referents of the original members of the set parallelly, i.e.
>
>	ci da poi prenu cu viska da/vo'a
>	Three people see themself.
>
>	le ci prenu cu viska vo'a
>	The three people see themself.
>
>(each see themself, a sees a, b sees b, and c sees c.)

I think that works.

>If vo'a (the first time) or da (the second+ time) are quantified, then
>it takes the specified number from the original set. So:
>
>	ci da poi prenu cu viska ro da
>	Three people see all people. (where set the taken from is the set of
>all people)

That's what I would like, yes.

>	ci da poi prenu cu viska ro vo'a
>	Three people see each of them. (where the set taken from is the
>aforementioned three people.)
>
>	le ci prenu cu viska ro vo'a
>	The three people see each of them (a sees a,b,c, etc.)
>

I think the last one works. I'm not yet sure about the other one.
Let's investigate some more:

There's a strong parallel between quantifiers and logical
connectors: ro - e, su'o - a, pa - onai.

Let's see first what happens with the connectors:

la djan e la meris viska ro vo'a
Each of John and Mary sees each of John and Mary.

Hopefully that one is uncontroversial.

la djan a la meris viska ro vo'a

What does that one mean? I want it to mean that at least one
of them sees both of them.

la djan onai la meris viska ro vo'a

What does that one mean? I want it to mean that only one of them
sees both of them.

But whatever these last two mean, I think they should be equivalent
to:

su'o le re prenu cu viska ro vo'a

and:

pa le re prenu cu viska ro vo'a

So my preference is that {ro vo'a} refers to {ro le re prenu}
always, independently of what quantifier {le re prenu} has in
front when it appears in the x1.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp