Subject: Death of Alex Leith, President and CEO of TLI

From: Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 23:21:15 -0400

According to an announcement on the Loglanists List, Alex Leith, President 
and CEO of The Loglan Institute, Inc. since before the death of language 
inventor Dr James Cooke Brown last year, himself died on July 14, 
apparently after a long illness.

Alex was perhaps the most skilled user of TLI Loglan, and had started 
writing an original novel in Loglan, but I don't know how much was completed.

Alex had expressed significant interest in pursuing rapprochement between 
TLI and LLG before his illness, but did not have the time or the health to 
act on this interest.

Alex had been entrusted with TLI leadership and groomed for that role by 
JCB before his death. There is no indication that any other Loglanist was 
trained to fill JCB's or Alex's shoes, and thus it is unclear what will 
happen to TLI, rendered headless twice within two years, and whether any 
successor will be interested in furthering rapprochement between the two 
communities. These deaths within TLI's leadership have served to remind me 
to delegate power, knowledge and responsibility widely within the Lojban 
community, so that we are much less dependent on the health and ability of 
any one person.

I did not know Alex well, but I'm sad at his passing.

lojbab

--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org