Subject: Re: [lojban] vliju'a

From: Cyril Slobin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:02:01 +0400 (MSD)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Invent Yourself wrote:

> > Is {lo nu djuno cu nu vlipa} a good translation for "knowledge is power"?

> la'e di'u banzu .i se'i mi zmanei lu le kamdjuno du le kamvlipa li'u

ko fraxu mi lenu spuda bau le na'e lojbo, I'm not fluent enough yet. Let
me try to defend my version:

1) gardi should be {lo}, not {le}. I do not speak about some cetrain bit
of knowledge, but about knowledge in general. The same for power-ness.

2) {du} is irrelevant: knowledge is power, but power is not always
knowledge. Maybe {me}? But idea of using some cmavo for "is" to keep
sentence symmery looks fine for me, thank you.

3) {nu} vs {ka}. It's hard to express formally, but I feel this is about
events, not about properties. When I know something, I can something.
But I am rather week at this point.

4) lujvo vs. analytic - matter of taste. I tend not to introduce lujvo
praeter necessitiam.

So, final (?) version: {lonu djuno me lonu vlipa}. Any more comments?

-- 
Cyril Slobin <[email-masked]>