Subject: revised experimental cmavo proposals

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 01:46:36 +0100

Proposals for:
sa'a'a
mu'ei
da'ai
ko'ai
zi'oi
sa'ei
ki'ai

Below, my original list is marked by '=', with each item
followed by a response. Two new items are added at the end.

= List of experimentals on my wishlist:
=
= 1. In BAhE: next word begins nonstandard construction.

Change to:

sa'a'a SA
"next word begins nonstandard construction"
Hopefully this stops the sentence from being parsed.

[I'm not so keen on this one, but am naming it for reference
purposes.]

= 2. bridi-to-sumti converter

{tu'o du'u} suffices.

= 3. bridi-to-ROI converter, expressing "p in PA possible worlds in 
= which q"

Change to:

{mu'ei} ROI [cp. {munje, mu'e-}]
"p in PA possible worlds in which q"

= 4. takes cmevla as complement and yields da-series KOhA, allowing
= bare cmevla to function as da-series KOhA thereafter.
= 5. takes cmevla as complement and yields ko'a-series KOhA, allowing
= bare cmevla to function as ko'a-series KOhA thereafter.

Change proposal to:

{da'ai} LA: yields sumti functioning as da-series KOhA

{ko'ai} LA: yields sumti functioning as ko'a-series KOhA

I'm not sure whether having these in LA entails that /da'ai/ and
/ko'ai/ can't occur within cmevla (which is not a particularly
desirable consequence), but the alternative of having them in LAhE
(so {da'ai la ab} rather than {da'ai ab}) is undesirable because
of the extra syllable.

The rationale for these cmavo is (i) to provide more than
ten ko'a-series anaphors (tho presumably the ten can be extended
as {ko'a xi PA}, just as the three da-series can be thus extended), 
(ii) to provide more mnemonic variable labels than "ko'a/ko'e/...", 
"da xi pa/re/ci/...", and (iii) to abbreviate {ko'a goi la ab} and 
{da xi pa goi la ab}.

= 6. In SE: fill places from x2/x3/x4/x5 onwards with zi'o
(si'oi, ti'oi, vi'oi, xi'oi)

Change proposal to:

{zi'oi} SE: indicates that one or more argument places are annulled.

Although zi'oi doesn't specify which argument places are annulled, this
can easily be guessed at by interlocutors.

The rationale for this is that it should be easier to annull excess
argument places without calling attention to them by filling them
with zi'o.

= 7. forethought sumti-tail connectives [tho experimental usage
= of bridi-tail connectives as sumti-tail connectives would suffice?]

Apparently yes.

= 8. nonveridicality indicator (a) with grammar of NA, (b) that can
= occur in relative phrases

Use {je'u cu'i}.

9. sa'ei [cp sance] COI expressive/ideophone ("kapow! kerrang!")

10. ki'ai [cp krixa, ki'a-] COI ejaculative ("damn! shit! bah! yowie!")

--And.