Subject: RE: [lojban] vliju'a

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:12:56 -0400

Also, we must remember that knowledge is not powerful, it is power.
If I know things, this fact is not powerful, I am. My knowledge is power,
but it does not HAVE power.

how's {leka djuno cu mintu leka vlipa} instead? I don't fully understand ka,
so I am not sure if this works.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 8:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lojban] vliju'a

In a message dated 7/31/2001 11:38:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

>Why wouldn't "knowledge" be translated as {le se djuno}? I think of
>"knowledge"
>as "that which is known". I would translate {leka djuno cu vlipa} into
>English
>as "knowing is powerful", which is very close to saying the same thing, but
>not
>quite.

But it is not the things known that are powerful -- they could exist unknown
and have no effect at all; it is that they are known that is powerful, I
think. Whether that is a property or an event is not clear, but it seems to
be one or the other.