Subject: if, then (was: Speaking Lojban

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 02:04:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Craig wrote:

> >Thank you for speaking up! I had written that summary without the benefit
> >of proper sleep so I forgot to mention the good discussion you, Nora, and
> >I had, all in Lojban, concerning "va'o" vs. "ganai gi" as a translation
> >for "if, then". It ended in agreement, too!
>
> What did you decide on? I missed Logfest because I was at the beach, but I
> still want to know about it. What is the best way to say 'if'?

We agreed, I believe, that a decent way to discuss a correlation (not
implying causality, and not implying acausality) is "ganai, gi". If you
want to discuss causality, feel free to use "krinu", "mukti", etc.

"ganai, gi" is really a shorthand way to say "when a, then b, and when not
b, then not a, and I'm not discussing any conclusions from b, or from not
a".

-----
We do not like And if a cat
those Rs and Ds, needed a hat?
Who can't resist Free enterprise
more subsidies. is there for that!