Subject: RE: [lojban] commands

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:38:31 -0400

>> On the Portland Pattern Repository's wiki, it was observed that there is
no
>> way to express an imperative in lojban without using ko. Ko has no
plural,
>> and so you can't say 'you all imperative' type constructions, a la
>> 'Disperse, ye rebels, disperse!' Therefore, I have just proposed on the
>> Lojban wiki a cmavo, xu'a, which would function like xu but make the
bridi a
>> command, allowing plural imperatives and statements like 'let's go.'
Clearly
>> we need commands other than ko, which is actually rather limited.

>> 1. Am I unknowingly inventing a way to do something that can really
already
>> be done?

>What is wrong with roko?

Nothing. Thank you.
But we still can't do constructions with it like 'let's go.' It's not a
command to allow us to go, but rather a command directed at multiple people,
including the speaker. Compare it less to 'allow us to go' and more to
Spanish 'vamonos' which is in the imperative.

>> 2. What do you think of this proposal, if I'm not?

>There are other catagories of cmavo available for experimentation, aren't
>there? If so, at least use something that resembles the other relevent
>pro-sumti. (ko'oi or something)

xu'a would function like xu but making commands rather than questions, so it
sounds like xu. But ko'oi works also.

--la kreig.daniyl.

'segu le bavli temci gi mi'o renvi lo purci
.i ga le fonxa janbe gi du mi'
-la djimis.BYFet

xy.sy. gubmau ckiku nacycme: 0x5C3A1E74