Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: (C)V'{i|u}V

From: Michal Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 18:25:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Richard Curnow wrote:

> bue == bu,e == bu'e
> 
> but then don't we have
> 
> bai == ba,i == ba'i
> 
> which is clearly useless, since bai and ba'i are certainly used as
> distinct words?
> 
> So what is the true situation regarding commas appearing between pairs
> of vowels? What have I missed?

I believe the issue here is that "ue" is not a valid lojban dipthong,
whereas "ai" is.. If "ue" isn't a dipthong, is must be two syllables,
and therefore the same as bu,e or bu'e.. But "bai" sounds like "bye",
not "ba ee", so if you want "ba ee" you need a comma or apostrophe.

Cheers,

- Michal
----------------------------------------------------------------------
let me host you! http://www.sabren.com me: http://www.sabren.net
----------------------------------------------------------------------