Subject: RE: [lojban] From the Wiki: The 17 tallest men

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 00:38:35 +0100

Lojbab:
> At 03:36 PM 8/2/01 -0700, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:
> >The question on "How do you say the 17 tallest men" came up in the Wiki;
> 
> paze remna poi clamau da'apaze remna

I thought this was a good answer, but on closer inspection I think it
doesn't work. This is because I think it means that each of the 17
people is taller than all but 17 people. But you could fix this by
changing it to:

pa ze remna poi clamau da'a su'e pa ze remna

or 

pa ze remna poi clamau su'o da'a pa ze remna

The repetition of {pa ze} is unecessary:

ro remna poi clamau da'a su'e pa ze remna

ro remna poi clamau su'o da'a pa ze remna

But the repetition of {remna} is rather unsatisfying.

So:

ro da poi ge da da'a su'e pa ze de clamau gi ri e ra remna

ro da poi ge da su'o da'a pa ze de clamau gi ri e ra remna

Or, since the de should not be within the scope of the ge:

ro da poi xi pa ke'a (xi pa) da'a su'e pa ze de poi xi re 
ke'a xi pa e ke'a xi re remna ku'o clamau [ku'o]

ro da poi xi pa ke'a (xi pa) su'o da'a pa ze de poi xi re 
ke'a xi pa e ke'a xi re remna ku'o clamau [ku'o]

This last pair is the best, I think.

--And.