Subject: Re: Well I guess you do learn something new every day...

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 00:44:27 -0000

la lojbab cusku di'e

> Imagine sentences nested multiple levels deep. You can use vo'a to 
refer 
> quickly back to the main level, which seemed to occur often enough 
that it 
> was worth chewing up 5 cmavo in a series for (and it may have 
existed back 
> in JCB's version). You can use le nei for the current bridi (but 
ri/ra 
> usually is good enough), but need a SE to get non-first places, and 
you can 
> use le no'a, possibly with subscripts, to get anywhere in between 
the 
> current bridi and the main bridi (and with a negative subscript, 
possibly 
> also to refer inwards from the main bridi, though there is no usage 
and 
> counting convention defined for same). Thus we cover all the 
possibilities 
> with only 7 "new" cmavo, spending most of them for the possibility 
that is 
> useful but for which we had no other way to do it (because if you 
are very 
> nested, you may not know how many levels out to subscript no'a - 
umm, I 
> guess no'axiro would work but ...)

I guess that means that "no'a" by default goes exactly one level up. 
But even if "no'a" is useful to get to an arbitrary level in 
between, "no'axiro" could still be the default.

> > mi pensi le nu le nu no'a cu rinka le nu mi djuno
> >
> >Is it my thinking (likely) or being the cause (???) that makes me
> >know.
> 
> The sentence claims that it is the "thinking about the thinking 
about", 
> that is the cause.

I agree, but that contradicts that "no'a" refers to the bridi one 
level up. In "le nu no'a cu rinka le nu mi djuno", the bridi one 
level up is the rinka-ing. So the one-level-up interpretation would 
be that I'm thinking about causing my knowing causing my knowing.

> > mi badri le nu do djuno le du'u no'a
> >
> >Does it mean that I'm sad that you know that I'm sad, or that you 
know
> >that you know (that you know, etc.)
> 
> It means that I'm sad about the fact that you know I'm sad (about 
the fact 
> that you know I'm sad ...)

Again, exactly one level up from "no'a" in "do djuno le du'u no'a" is 
the djuno-ing, so the sentence by that interpretation would be that 
I'm sad about the fact that you know that you know that you know etc.

I really think that "no'a" would be more useful (and easier to think 
about) referring to the main bridi.

mu'o mi'e adam