Subject: Re: [lojban] ka + makau (was: ce'u (was: vliju'a

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 01:38:11

la xod cusku di'e

>What fact are you stating with du'u do prami makau

Not much, but then neither are you claiming much
with {du'u do prami la djan}

>I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "hidden from view".

Not exposed.

Suppose John goes to the market. There is a proposition,
{la djan klama le zarci}, which can be used to describe
that fact. But you can also use the proposition to describe
relationships between that fact and other things, for example
{la meris djuno le du'u la djan klama le zarci}, a relationship
between Mary and the fact that John goes to the market.
Now, let's take a piece of black cardboard and place it on
la djan, and for representational purposes let's call that
piece of cardboard makau, so we get {la meris djuno le du'u
makau klama le zarci}. The fact that John goes to the market
remains the same, the relationship between that fact and Mary
remains the same, all that changes is that you are using a
less explicit way of referring to that fact, maybe because
you don't care to display the name of the goer (even though
the fact that it is John remains, and the fact that Mary knows
it also remains) or maybe even because you yourself don't know
who went to the store, although Mary does and you know that she
does. In any case, the relationship that you claim is one between
Mary and a fact (that John goes to the store) that you are not
fully revealing.

The same thing happens with {ka}. makau can even cover different
values for different values of the property holder.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp