Subject: Re: CHAT: RE: [lojban] On a number of parts of threads and single threads disguised as several

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 22:53:02 -0400 (EDT)

And Rosta scripsit:

> And what is Eternal September? -- from the name alone, I'd guess a
> terrorist outfit operating out of Pyongyang.[*]

September 1993, aka "The September That Never Ended". Before 1993,
there was a tendency for the 'Net to be flooded with newbies every
September, as first-year college students gained access to it
for the first time, and had to be slowly educated by the regulars.

But after September 1993, when AOL users got direct access to
Usenet, the sheer number of newbies overwhelmed the ability of
the regulars to handle them. Since then, of course, newbies
can and do arrive at any season in ever-increasing floods.

> [* And by the same Reasoning, Dien Bien Phu is a Techno Nightclub and
> Hapax Legomenon a Greek soccer team.]

"I still remember that Emphyteusis[1] is not a disease, nor
Stillicide[2] a crime."

[1] A form of land tenure common in the late Roman Empire, involving
the payment of a fixed rent over a 30-year or more term.

[2] The right to collect the water that drips off your neighbor's
roof onto your own land: also a Roman Law term.

-- 
John Cowan [email-masked]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
--Douglas Hofstadter