Subject: Re: [lojban] Transliterations survey

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 00:02:34 -0400 (EDT)

Nick NICHOLAS scripsit:

> Muenchen (= Munich), Germany

"mincyn": final -en has schwa, rounded front vowels are front vowels,
ich-laut maps to c.

> Koeln (= Cologne), Germany

I favor keln on abstract grounds, but kyln may be better.

> Cote d'Azur (= French Riviera), France

kot.daZIR.

> Villeneuve, France

vilNEV or vilNYV.

> Fukushima, Japan

fukucima.

> DiyarbakIr, Turkey

di,iarbaKYR. I think is right, since although I patterns with back vowels,
it is in fact central.

> Bourgogne (= Burgundy), France
> 
> burGON.
> burGONiy.
> burGOIN.

The last sounds like Eng. name "Burgoyne", undoubtedly < Bourgogne.
I favor burGON.

> Marseilles, France

marSEI.

-- 
John Cowan [email-masked]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
--Douglas Hofstadter