Subject: Re: [lojban] wiki

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:52:10 -0700 (PDT)

From: "Craig" <ragnarok@p...>

>>what does wiki mean?

>Short for 'wiki wiki web.'
>Wiki wiki is hawai'ian for 'fast' or 'quick.' I have no
>clue what the connection is.

Wikis are web nodes which are completely freely editable by anyone that
comes along to them. In this, they differ from the traditional mode of
collaborative authorship (vide CVS), in which access to the text being
edited is closely controlled.

The Lojban wiki is hosted on Jay's Lojban news site:

http://nuzban.wiw.org/wiki

It already contains more stuff than you might think, and I really think
people should be keeping an eye on it.

There's lots of ideological stuff underlying the Wiki Wiki Web; I'm
presuming the base concept behind the etymology is that it's quick and
easy to get something up
online if individuals take the responsibility for filling in the gaps they
perceive, rather than bitching about it to some central authority. (OK,
that's enough from the peanut gallery! :-)

-- 
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Nick Nicholas, Breathing {le'o ko na rivbi fi'inai palci je tolvri danlu}
[email-masked] -- Miguel Cervantes tr. Jorge LLambias