Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: soi vo'a and embedded bridi

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 03:57:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- In lojban@y..., "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <lojbab@l...> wrote:
> At 06:13 AM 8/4/01 -0700, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:
> > > 2. Can one say "I saw Bob hit Dave and vice versa" with "soi"?

> >Yes, but no longer with vo'a: mi viska lenu la bob. darxi la deiv. soi la
> >bob. (or: soi le nei, or: soi ra [and pray], or: soi ri xi re)

> soi ri, I think, since soi is attached to la deiv. (I'm willing to be
> proven wrong on this if the book says otherwise, but failing that, I would
> treat free modifiers attached to a sumti as if they were a kind of relative
> clauses or phrase (and indeed they are, since the soi X could be replaced
> by a noi bridi) and use ke'a to refer to the sumti they are attached to.
> (Free mods can attach to other things of course.))

Well, its going into the lessons as a note, so I guess that makes it
now as official as it's ever been... (No, the book does not say otherwise.
Grumble.)

-- 
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Nick Nicholas, Breathing {le'o ko na rivbi fi'inai palci je tolvri danlu}
[email-masked] -- Miguel Cervantes tr. Jorge LLambias