Subject: Re: [lojban] Transliterations survey

From: "Daniel Gudlat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 21:06:01 +0200

On 4 Aug 2001, at 6:07, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:
>Please evaluate as voluminously as you can the following candidate
>transliterations. Please only comment on an instance if you know the
>exact pronunciation of the original.<snip> Anecdotes about
>transliterations of these placenames in your native languages are
>also welcome.
>
>Muenchen (= Munich), Germany

If you want to be as close to the written word as possible (a),
munxen would be it, though only few Germans hearing this would
actually understand you, I guess; for maximum recognition in spoken
text (b), I'd go with mincyn. (Drop the rounding in u-umlaut.
Although ich-laut is a variant of ach-laut, it's phonetically closer
to lojban c, many German dialects actually pronounce it that way.
-en at the end gets schwah-ified) Since lojbanization of cmene seems
to favor phonology, I'd say mincyn it is.

> Koeln (= Cologne), Germany

koln for (a), keln for (b) (Drop the rounding of o-umlaut and you end 
up with e). So keln IMHO.

> Cote d'Azur (= French Riviera), France

I'd go for kot.daZIR. (French u is somewhat similar to german u-
umlaut, though even more closed - AFAI am concerned, so I'd go
for i.)

> Villeneuve, France

vilNEV. sounds about right. (I hear french eu somewhere between e and 
o-umlaut.)

> Bourgogne (= Burgundy), France

burGON. or burGONiy. I can't quite decide for or against one or the 
other although I tend towards the latter.

Marseilles, France

I'd pronounce it marSEI.
-- 
Daniel "Gudy" Gudlat
[email-masked]