Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: soi vo'a and embedded bridi

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 00:32:48 -0400

At 10:53 AM 8/5/01 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>On Sat, 04 Aug 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
> >soi ri, I think, since soi is attached to la deiv. (I'm willing to be
> >proven wrong on this if the book says otherwise, but failing that, I would
> >treat free modifiers attached to a sumti as if they were a kind of relative
> >clauses or phrase (and indeed they are, since the soi X could be replaced
> >by a noi bridi) and use ke'a to refer to the sumti they are attached to.
> >(Free mods can attach to other things of course.))
>
>But wouldn't "soi ri" just exchange Dave with Dave?

It is precisely because of that implication that a "ri" in the soi attached 
to Dave doesn't refer to Dave. "ri" skips the current sumti if it is part 
of a construct within that sumti. My statement is that a free modifier 
should be considered part of the sumti construct it is attached to and 
therefore ri-counting doesn't include Dave.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org