Subject: RE: [lojban] Transliterations survey

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:53:53 -0400

>This was Nick's point. The residents say temecvar and the local hegemony,
>which the residents resent, says timicuara. As with kwyBEK/keBEK,
>kataLONia/kataLUNia, LUNdynderi/DEri, either choice implies a certain
>ideology.

kataLONia/kataLUNia are transliterating from different languages. Take the
catalan, it's what most of them speak. Just DON'T write about kasTIL, I've
been there and it is ALWAYS kasTIy or (occasionally) kasTIa. I vote for the
above to be as the locals say, not as the rest of the world insists on
saying it - are the indigenous people of Alaska to be written /N,iu,t/ or
/ESK,mo/? I vote for N,iu,t despite the fact that it looks atrocious that
way.

But yes, spell it how you like - provided we understand you, since that's
the point of having a language.

BTW, it's harder to make jokes about the song "/lynynDERI/ air" than
LYNdynderi.

--la kreig.daniyl.

'segu le bavli temci gi mi'o renvi lo purci
.i ga le fonxa janbe gi du mi'
-la djimis.BYFet

xy.sy. gubmau ckiku nacycme: 0x5C3A1E74