Subject: RE: [lojban] Transliterations survey

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 01:29:03 -0400

At 01:13 AM 8/7/01 +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> > > > and (much more
> > > > contentiously) timicuara (Rumanian) rather than temecvar (Hungarian). I
> > > > know full well this is not going to be looked on favourably.
> >
> > Do the residents themselves have a preference?
>
>This was Nick's point. The residents say temecvar and the local hegemony,
>which the residents resent, says timicuara. As with kwyBEK/keBEK,
>kataLONia/kataLUNia, LUNdynderi/DEri, either choice implies a certain
>ideology.

What happens when there are multiple ideologies amongst the local 
residents? Specifically, what happens when the educated local dialect 
differs from the colloquial local dialect.

> > Canonical means canonical to the residents; nolinz it should be,
> > regardless of what a damyankee thinks.
>
>Nick thinks differently. I think Nick should use the names he thinks
>best and you should use the names that you think best, and that this
>is an issue that we should consciously not be normative about.

We still will have to decide what to put into the dictionary as 
examples. One answer is to provide multiple answers based on the various 
ideologies without making a choice (and of course "letting usage decide").

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org