Subject: Re: Transliterations survey

From: "A.W.T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 22:31:25 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., Pierre Abbat <phma@o...> wrote:
> Okay, after listening to you, I think the correct forms are as follows:
> 
> >Muenchen (= Munich), Germany
> 
> minxyn. I consider ich-Laut and ach-Laut to be allophones in German, Russ=
ian,
> and Lojban, though not in Hebrew (I use ich-Laut for khaf and ach-Laut fo=
r
> chet).

{minxyn} doesn't sound bad, though {mincyn} wouldn't be unintelligible. The=
ach-Laut also might be somehow shifted to ich-Laut 
after "i" and (especially) "n".

> and Lojban, though not in Hebrew (I use ich-Laut for khaf and ach-Laut fo=
r
> chet).

In (pure) Yiddish, the "khet" doesn't exist, just "khaf", which I hear pron=
ounced approximately as ach-Laut (http://www.fa-
kuan.muc.de/YIDISH.RXML and http://www.fa-kuan.muc.de/GENESIS.RXML).
 
> (magjaro joi ckipera li'o)

Although written with "gy", the sound has nothing to do with "g" but a lot =
with (palatal) "d", hence {madj(i)ar}. In order to get an 
idea about the pronunciation go to my site and listen to some of the many H=
ungarian poetry samples there.

As for "Fukushima", Evgenij is right with that the "sh" tends to "s".
In Japanese the "u" and "i" often are pronounced as so-called half-vowels (=
Halbvokale or Flüstervokale) like the final "i" in 
Rumanian (Bucuresti {-ect}, tu esti: {iect}. There once was a title of a mo=
vie "Un cartof, doi cartofi" where the two words 
difference is just the way you put the lips when pronouncing the final "f")=
.
Remember the French-Japanese movie "Hiroshima mon amour" long ago with the =
lovers pronouncing the city's name differently: 
she (Japanese) somehow gives it as "Hrosma".

co'omi'e .aulun.