Subject: Re: [lojban] A or B, depending on C, and related issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:52:03 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/2001 4:01:41 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Actually it did. lu'a for selecting individuals from a set came *directly* 
> from your posing this problem to me back in 1989 or so. The other members 
> of lu'a were added later. I believe that Athelstan then demonstrated that 
> we could match all 3 and 4 place truth functional connective truth table 
> with no obvious limit to what we could handle in larger sizes being 
> found. The form translated as "1 from the set {coffee, tea} AND 1 from the 
> set {sugar, cream} is an example of this solution. sumti sets can include 
> sets of propositions by using du'u or la'elu/li'u, which I think solves the 
> first problem.
> 
Yes, but the language uses were never written up (unless in a short bit in 
the newsletter) and are not in the Book. There are no specimens that I can 
find anywhere and Athelstan's proof even is lost from the material I have -- 
can you resurrect it? It is easy to see how the "exactly n" cases work, but 
what about more complex ones that lay out interrelationships among what 
occurs or does not?