Subject: RE: [lojban] Re: Transliterations survey

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 02:11:26 +0100

Aulun:
> --- In lojban@y..., "And Rosta" <a.rosta@n...> wrote:
> > Aulun:
> > > Remember the French-Japanese movie "Hiroshima mon amour" long ago
> > > with the = lovers pronouncing the city's name differently:
> > > she (Japanese) somehow gives it as "Hrosma".
> >
> > She is french. He is japanese. Which says "Hrosma"? He?
>
> Oh, you're correct! My excellent long-term memory was cheating me:
> Looking = through my collection of movie brochures
> ("Illustrierte Film-Bühne" etc.) I once collected are telling me:
> "Hiroshim= a mon amour" Alain Resnais, Emmanuele Riva & Eiji
> Okada, script and dialogues Marguerite Duras(!). But how come you to
> know?!= (BTW, it's a pretty complicated story...).

because tho I am no fan of Resnais and Duras, I love that film.

> > (But I think you sort of missed Evgeny/Pierre's point, which is
> > that something like /xirosima/ & /xukusima/ is consistent not
> > necessarily with a mapping between Lojban phonetics and Japanese
> > phonetics but with a mapping between Lojban phonology and
> > Japanese phonology.)
>
> No, don't think so. Creating cmene has to consider original phonetics
> and p= honology, but also intelligibility by others:

but criteria for intelligibility may well involve more than acoustic
similarity. Also, the best usual LA name isn't necessarily the most
recognizable one. E.g. if we thought Switzerland should be
/la xelvet/, we could, if talking to an English-speaker, say

{la xelvet. ku no'u la'o xy. suitsyrlynd xy.}

--And.