Subject: Re: [lojban] New to lojban, any suggestions?

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:38:52 -0400 (EDT)

Welcome!

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> For the last two months have been joyfully reading over the
> lojban materials that are available over the internet (including the
> pretty tengwar script) and I've been preparing myself for actual,
> systematic study of the language. But, at the same time, I've also
> been fooling around with Esperanto, so I have a few questions to help
> me to decide which constructed language to buckle down with for
> awhile:
>
> Can anyone share there stories of learning Lojban, how far they are
> at, and how they enjoy it?
>
> Does any one have any good suggestions for how best to study it?
> I've already gone through most of the basic grammar stuff, it's more
> an issue of learning vocabulary.

Some people find Logflash very useful.

Do IRC with a dictionary window open. If you let us (me) know when you
will be on, we (I) can make a special effort to get there at the same
time. The 2 channels we use are usually dead, but this is how you can
avoid that.

> Does anyone know how to get up-to-date lessons and documents, since
> the official webpage hasn't been updated in a year?

Roll around the Lojban webring and visit all the sites. The Lojban Wiki is
updated daily. The most timely information is here on this mailing list &
on that Wiki.

> What is the state of Lojbanistan? How many people, and fluent
> speakers, are people happy speaking it?

As far as I know, there are probably a dozen who can hold a halting verbal
conversation in it. Maybe a dozen more can manage to read and write it &
are learning steadily, and perhaps another dozen can barely read or write
but love to discuss it endlessly.

> Thank you so much for working so hard on such a neat project!
>
> Jeremy Louzao

ki'u ma le si'o na'e jecta lojbo kei cu smuni le do cmene?

-----
"I have never been active in politics or in any act against occupation,
but the way the soldiers killed Mizyed has filled me with hatred and
anger. Now I'm ready to carry out a suicide attack inside Israel,"
one of the witnesses said.