Subject: Re: [lojban] New to lojban, any suggestions?

From: Steven Fodstad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:46:20 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> Hello all,
> 
> For the last two months have been joyfully reading over the 
> lojban materials that are available over the internet (including the 
> pretty tengwar script) and I've been preparing myself for actual, 
> systematic study of the language. But, at the same time, I've also 
> been fooling around with Esperanto, so I have a few questions to help 
> me to decide which constructed language to buckle down with for 
> awhile:
> 
> Can anyone share there stories of learning Lojban, how far they are 
> at, and how they enjoy it?

I've been lurking in this mailing list for a while, and this is my first 
post to this mailing list. I found Lojban when it was slashdotted a 
while back, and have been reading the refgram over and over again as 
necessary.

I started to keep a journal in Lojban, but it's been slow going because 
a) I've never written a journal before, b)I have an extremely small 
vocabulary, and c) I am learning to use Emacs at the same time.(Thank 
you, Gnu people, for the Alt+1,Alt+Shift+1 shortcut)

As an aside--in the previous paragraph, I explicitly numbered the items. 
Is there a similar facility in Lojban?

I'm at the point now where I grok the place structure when not 
rearranged or when explicitly rearranged(i.e. {mi tavla do} and {mi 
tavla fu la lojban.}, but not {mi tavla fi do do'o}).

I got interested when I saw "--the logical language" and "literature" 
together on the main page. I also remember reading about Loglan in The 
Moon is a Harsh Mistress(my favorite Heinlein book), so I was hooked 
when I read that it was an evolved form of that.

I like Lojban because I believe the hypothesis(you know the one. Can't 
remember the names that go along with it at the moment) is true, and if 
it's true, what more positive effects could come of it than of Lojban?

> Does any one have any good suggestions for how best to study it? 
> I've already gone through most of the basic grammar stuff, it's more 
> an issue of learning vocabulary.

You could try my method--start a journal. There's IRC(I can't connect 
to EFNet because Identd doesn't work on my machine), Wiki, Mailing 
lists(this one and one for discussions in Lojban)