Subject: Re: [lojban] New to lojban, any suggestions?

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 01:49:06 -0400

At 02:54 PM 8/12/01 +0200, Arnt Richard Johansen wrote:
> > Can anyone share there stories of learning Lojban, how far they are
> > at, and how they enjoy it?
>
>I've written some of my story of learning Lojban at
><URL:http://people.fix.no/arj/lojban/why-i-like.html>. Basically I've
>studied Lojban on my own, on the basis of the electronic wordlists and
>the draft reference grammar.
>
>It is true that one can get a grasp of the basic grammar in a matter of
>hours or days. But to be able to say what I wanted to say, I had to
>acquire some more vocabulary. This I did primarily with Logflash, the
>LLG's fine gismu drilling program. I can't remember exactly how much
>time I used to work through all of the 1342, but I think it took me
>about six months, while at the same time reading the messages from the
>mailing lists.

I want to make sure to note that people who use LogFlash are helping the 
research aspect of the project. LogFlash is instrumented, and anyone like 
Arnt who makes it through all the words is urged to send me the files 
specific to their name. Info on the learner's education and language 
background (especially with regard to the 6 source languages for Lojban 
gismu, is also useful.

> What is the state of Lojbanistan? How many people, and fluent
> > speakers, are people happy speaking it?
>
>To me, the biggest drawback with Lojban is the number of people who are
>speaking it. It is actually true that I have never had a verbal
>conversation in Lojban with anyone, ever. Most probably, I am the only
>one in Norway who knows Lojban, and there are no one that I know of in
>the rest of Scandinavia either. The Internet is, for the time being, the
>only place I can meet fellow Lojbanists.

There is Veijo in Finland, of course. We actually have more than a dozen 
Scandinavian Lojbanists that I know of, though probably most are 
inactive. On Lojban List right now, there is one other Norwegian, 4 with 
Swedish addresses, though one says he is British on the Yahoo list. There 
is one other Finnish member of Lojban List besides Veijo. One of the 
Swedish list members ordered several copies of the refgrammar for a group 
that wanted to study the language. If he does not read this and contact 
you directly, I can send you his email off-list.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org