Subject: Re: [lojban] New to lojban, any suggestions?

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:07:41 -0700

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 01:49:06AM -0400, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
> At 02:54 PM 8/12/01 +0200, Arnt Richard Johansen wrote:
> > > Can anyone share there stories of learning Lojban, how far they are
> > > at, and how they enjoy it?
> >
> >I've written some of my story of learning Lojban at
> ><URL:http://people.fix.no/arj/lojban/why-i-like.html>. Basically I've
> >studied Lojban on my own, on the basis of the electronic wordlists and
> >the draft reference grammar.
> >
> >It is true that one can get a grasp of the basic grammar in a matter of
> >hours or days. But to be able to say what I wanted to say, I had to
> >acquire some more vocabulary. This I did primarily with Logflash, the
> >LLG's fine gismu drilling program. I can't remember exactly how much
> >time I used to work through all of the 1342, but I think it took me
> >about six months, while at the same time reading the messages from the
> >mailing lists.
> 
> I want to make sure to note that people who use LogFlash are helping the 
> research aspect of the project. 

Uhh, really? No offense intended, but perhaps then it should exist in
a form that can actually be used by most people.

> LogFlash is instrumented, and anyone like Arnt who makes it through
> all the words is urged to send me the files specific to their name.
> Info on the learner's education and language background (especially
> with regard to the 6 source languages for Lojban gismu, is also
> useful.

<sigh> I can't believe I'm saying this.

If you explain in more detail why Logflash is important, and I agree
with the value as presented in said explanation, I'll give serious
consideration to re-writing it.

Is the research value 'tainted' if the user has done other, seperate
memorizing of the words?

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/