Subject: Re: [lojban] New to lojban, any suggestions?

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:06:03 -0400

At 09:38 PM 8/10/01 -0400, Invent Yourself wrote:
> > What is the state of Lojbanistan? How many people, and fluent
> > speakers, are people happy speaking it?
>
>As far as I know, there are probably a dozen who can hold a halting verbal
>conversation in it. Maybe a dozen more can manage to read and write it &
>are learning steadily, and perhaps another dozen can barely read or write
>but love to discuss it endlessly.

I would suspect that there are a good 30-50 people that could speak the 
language well enough to handle the level of conversation at 
LogFest. Probably 100-200 have written a paragraph or more of reasonably 
good Lojban, many of whom haven't made themselves known to us. Since we've 
sold over 350 reference grammars at a price that isn't cheap, I would 
presume that most who have bought the reference grammar would be at the 
level of "barely read and write" or higher. There are also close to 250 
people subscribed to this list, and I'm sure not all of them have bought 
the reference grammar. Anyone who stays on this list at current traffic 
volume, even if they are bundling the bulk away for reading "someday" 
has got to have some serious interest in the language.

lojbab

--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org