Subject: keyboard letterals (was: New to lojban, any suggestions?)

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 21:21:27 -0700

Says Jay:

>> Note: Shift is taubu, Caps Lock is ga'ebu. I hope I'm not insane enough to
>> come up with equivalents of the other keys of the keyboard...

>Hrm, seems like it might be a good idea for someone to do so, though...

>! = ba'ebu
>@

judri.bu is the only sensible one these days.

>* = tarci.bu (or asterik.bu)

Could but won't be pinka.bu

{
}
[
]

I referred to these generically in the intro to the lessons as stura.bu, I
think. That doesn't help, though.

>\
>/

Can't base this on division, that's the obelus (the primary school maths one.)

>:
lau lidne bu, following its use as an introductory? relmokca conflicts with
umlaut.

>;
jufrypau.bu, or denpa joi ki'o bu

>'
.y'y

>. = ? (ibu would be nice, but its taken)
has already been defined as denpa.bu, and , as slaka.bu

>backspace = sibu (si is probably outside of the grammar enough that sibu
>would cause problems, though)

Indeed. Besides, you'd need to distinguish delete and backspace, and the
scope of deletion is only a single letter. Delete is vimcu.bu; backspace is
actually functionally equivalent to left arrow, but can be fa'ebu

>Good words for ctrl and alt elude me. I'm thinking maybe galfi.bu xi PA,
>though. (To take into account the very rare keyboards which more modifiers
>than ctrl and alt)

I'd want to say minde.bu for Ctrl, drata.bu for Option/Alt, and vonpezli.bu
for the Mac Clover.

Space: kunti bu
Tab: sotkunti bu

This will end up on Wiki, but not by me tonight. If someone gets to it
before me, please link it under 'mulgau' rather than 'stika'.

Nick Nicholas, TLG, UCI, USA. [email-masked] www.opoudjis.net
"Most Byzantine historians felt they knew enough to use the optatives
correctly; some of them were right." --- Harry Turtledove.