Subject: selma'o considered harmful

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:33:11 -0700 (PDT)

>From the Wiki: http://nuzban.wiw.org/wiki/index.php?cmene . Is there any
official verdict on the usage of CMENE and selma'o, John?

***

>From the Lojban web site FAQ (http://www.lojban.org/files/brochures/faq.htm):

cmene: Lojban names

Any word used in Lojban as a name. Often used (loosely) in English to
refer specifically to the special morphological class (selma'o) of CMENE,
which must end in a consonant, and not include the syllables la,
lai, and doi. cmene in Lojban involve LA followed by either CMENE or
selbri.

Lojban can distinguish between the non-terminal cmene and the selma'o
CMENE (selma'o po'u la cmene), but it makes a good deal of sense to refer
to CMENE words in Lojban at least as cmevla.

I think that a
cmevla is a valsi lo cmene, and thus is minimally different from just
cmene in this respect. (selbri used as names are also words used as names.
For those Lojban words ending in consonants, I think that
cmeseltai could work, or cmeseltaivla.

cmene isn't a selma'o! --jay

No, it's a lexeme?, but we end up using selma'o (q.v.) to mean lexeme?.

um. but thats wrong... if you want a word for word class, use vlalei, not
the word for cmavo class.

***

-- 
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Nick Nicholas, Breathing {le'o ko na rivbi fi'inai palci je tolvri danlu}
[email-masked] -- Miguel Cervantes tr. Jorge LLambias