Subject: Re: [lojban] {lo'i} as a Q-kau solution?

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:35:49

la xod cusku di'e

>If the understandability of the sentence is not the issue, then I have no
>idea what you are discussing or why I would want to waste any time
>pondering it.

I'm discussing the meaning of the sentence. A sentence need not
even be grammatical, much less logically sound, for it to be
understandable.

>But the fact that the symbol 'John' was referred to not by it's
>letters but by its meaning inescapably proves that the speaker knows the
>symbol, knows the meaning, and knows that the symbol maps to that meaning.
>And that's all the sentence is trying to impart.

I think this point has been made before, but anyway:

John wrote this book. Paul doesn't know that,
but Paul does know John.

Does Paul know who wrote this book? No.
Does Paul know this book's writer? Yes.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp