Subject: Re: [lojban] New to lojban, any suggestions?

From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:43:40 +0000 (UTC)

Last time I checked, I can legally underline paragraphs in my own
book, and then lend it to a friend so he can see the underlined
portions.

Right. That kind of sharing is called `fair use'. It is the kind of
sharing that parents encourage among children. (`Don't be selfish;
share that toy!' This kind of sharing is under attack.

In the US, a fellow was recently arrested for providing you with the
electronic equivalent of the ability to lend a book to a friend, a
book that you have legally purchased

The question is: do you want to continue to have the legal right to
"underline paragraphs in my own book, and then lend it to a
friend..."? If so, you need to persuade people that this right is
important. You need to do this in every country, not just the US. As
a practical matter, take politician out to lunch, or take his or her
political assistant; talk a judge or lawyer; talk to a journalist, or
publisher. 

-- 
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked]
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com