Subject: Re: [lojban] New to lojban, any suggestions?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 19:07:00 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/2001 4:18:38 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> It was an example. You're clear on the concept, yes?
> 
> You said that my claim that there is functionality in Linux that Win*
> doesn't support was 'unlikely'. I gave you an example.
> 
> It's not a matter of "I don't know how to do it". It's a matter of
> "It's impossible without altering the OS or programming in machine
> language to get around the OS".
> 
> Counter-example. 

OK. Thank you, for adding the useful information -- what I asked for -- that 
it genuinely is impossible. I won't ask to see the proof, since I probably 
could not follow the details of the systems anyhow. 

Now for the deeper question: does this mean that MS can't do something that 
Linux can. That is, is the function which MS can't compute an in=> out 
function or one used in the internal operations of Linux? If the latter, 
then no matter how hard it makes step-by-step emulation, it is ultimately not 
a shortcoming of MS, if it can accomplish anything that Linux can using 
another line of operation (abaci have lousy TM emulators, but still calculate 
all the same functions). And, of course, it may make a difference in 
efficiency of calculation as well. On the other hand, if it is an external 
function that Linux can and MS can't calculate, that is a serious defect in 
MS and worth some putdown points (unless there is a coounter case that MS can 
and Linux can't compute). 
I thought there were Linux emulators for Windows as well as conversely.