Subject: Re: [lojban] New to lojban, any suggestions?

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:50:34 -0700

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 05:57:40PM -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> On various points.
> UNIX has been around forever, and for desktops for fairly long, but by and 
> large the emphasis here seems to be on the Linux realization, which is about 
> 10 years old (it seems to be hard to pin down a date) against Windows at a 
> full 20 years 9reading off the copyright notices). 

The copyright notices include DOS, which is another beast entirely.

> It does not yet come bundled even at places that sell it and it does
> not yet work out of the box -- if the instruction booklet that was
> included in the last box I looked into is a guide: 20 pages on fitting
> it to the machine, involving parts of the critter I don't even want to
> know about theoretically, let alone hands-on. Ditto for most of the
> software, which then is not nearly so pretty as boring old Word, for
> example. 

<sigh>

Would you please stop making definate claims about things you know
nothing about?

RedHat requires little to no knowledge of how the computer works, and
has a pretty GUI install.

StarOffice looks just like Word.

> But that will all pass as it succeeds, if it is indeed
> basically a better thing. 

VHS vs Beta. Discuss.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/