Subject: Re: [lojban] New to lojban, any suggestions?

From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:18:40 +0000 (UTC)

> It's neither, really. It's a function of their security models, which

So it is about HOW they do things, not WHAT they do, ....

Here is an example of what Robin means: today I received two private
messages from people who did not intend to send them to me. The
documents were not for me. I did not seek them. 

The authors of the documents did not install the patch to Microsoft
Outlook Express that prevents their system from sending me these
documents. My system is immune to this virus.

Although my system can be broken into, in general it is more secure.
(The last time I felt the consequences of a virus or worm was in 1988
and I mostly slept through that event.) For me it was simply a matter
of receiving other people's private correspondence, which is not
harmful to me, except I dislike the bother of deleting it. But I
suspect the people who wrote the correspondence would prefer to
preserve their privacy.

... That is going to make an emulator harder, though not 
impossible ....

Various programmers have been working to emulate one of the Microsoft
systems; the primary difficulties they have faced have been legal.
Microsoft has changed its `public standards' frequently and without
public notification. You are thinking technical (which is how many
programmers think); but the issues are no longer primarily technical;
they are legal.

-- 
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked]
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com