Subject: RE: [lojban] Chomskyan universals and Lojban

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:20:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Jay Kominek wrote:

>
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, And Rosta wrote:
>
> > * Natlang syntax doesn't have terminators (AFAIK)
>
> They'd probably be significantly less ambiguous if they did.

"unquote" is a terminator. Are you sure there are no more?

> > > > * SE
> > >
> > > Sort of unfair to list it as its own thing, as its merely a side effect of
> > > the place structure.
> >
> > The selmaho SE, both because it swaps x1 and x2/3/4/5/... and because it's
> > recursive.
>
> I'm aware of selma'o SE.
>
> And whats recursive about SE cmavo? (I'm familiar with recursion in all of
> its forms as a programming technique, and none of them are even remotely
> relevent.)

Yes, unfair to mention SE, fair to mention place structures. Or are there
any langs with them? What about this Thompson language, spoken by ~500
Canadian Native Americans, said to be the only language that's a little
similar to Lojban in structure? Was that a joke? I can find no information
about that language except its existence, using the net.

Since learning the balbau I have noticed that English uses modals all the
time.

> > I don't think it will, but it would become a different language if
> > it became a natlang. I suppose that if unnatural features survived
> > unchanged into a lojban creole, then there would be some very
> > significant conclusions to be drawn.
>
> Well, we'll see what happens when some Lojbanists has kids. :)

More than kids, the house in which they raised must be an all-Lojban house
(best), or second best is that one parent always uses Lojban, while the
other parent uses something else.

-----
"I have never been active in politics or in any act against occupation,
but the way the soldiers killed Mizyed has filled me with hatred and
anger. Now I'm ready to carry out a suicide attack inside Israel,"
one of the witnesses said.