Subject: Re: [lojban] Lojban on UNIX vs. Windowssuggestions?)

From: Jim Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:43:33 +0100

James F. Carter wrote:
> It would be best if all the good software for Windows could also run on
> UNIX. (To really do this, check out "vmware". You need a legal copy of
> Windows.) 

My preference for running Windows on top of Linux is Win4Lin - I
haven't gone back to VMWare since buying it. Only certain versions of
Windows are supported (I'm using Windows 98SE), but it really is easy
and trouble-free, and it runs at close to full native speed (or
faster!). DirectX is not supported, but nothing I run needs it, so no
big deal. It also uses Linux directories to emulate the Windows
filesystem, so you can access the files from both sides - mix Perl
hacks with Windows applications - it's *much* easier (for me at least)
to be able to manage the files from the Linux side. The Windows
virtual machine also appears on the same machine IP address without
all the bridging stuff from VMWare.

http://www.netraverse.com/

Don't ask me how they achieved all this - it just works !

I hope this isn't too off-topic.

Jim

-- 
Jim Peters (_)/=\~/_(_) Uazú
(_) /=\ ~/_ (_)
jim@ (_) /=\ ~/_ (_) www.
uazu.net (_) ____ /=\ ____ ~/_ ____ (_) uazu.net