Subject: Re: [lojban] ma smuni zo senva

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:02:25 -0400

At 09:46 PM 8/15/01 -0600, Jay Kominek wrote:
>IMO, day dreams, nightmares, good dreams are all cases of senva. Hoping
>that you get into graduate school isn't senva. Sitting around in class and
>thinking about how neat it would be to be to have a graduate degree, such
>that you're unaware of the professor lecturing, is senva.
>
>However, I would form some sort lujvo for all of them, and use the
>appropriate lujvo instead of senva directly, as it seems to be a gismu
>which is fairly vague and best left to lujvo/tanru construction.

Note that this is precisely the opposite philosophy that Colin Fine once 
expressed which was to Lojbanically use the broad if more vague term where 
possible. He noted that English speakers are prone to being overspecific 
about some things that are obvious, and that Lojban seems to make a bit of 
art of being creatively vague or elliptical in leaving out things English 
finds essential (like tense and number).

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org