Subject: Re: [lojban] ma smuni zo senva

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:17:34 -0400

At 02:09 AM 8/16/01 +0400, Cyril Slobin wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, John Cowan wrote:
>
> > > Dream(1) means "to see while sleeping", and dream(2) is similar to
> > > "wish" or "hope". And I cannot imagine a concept that covers both
> > > meanings at once. Maybe this is a Worfian effect. zo'o Which of two
> > > {senva} means?
>
> > The first, only.
>
> But gimste gives the keyword 'reverie' for {senva}! Shame to me, I
>haven't know this word before (my english is far from perfect), but my
>english-to-russian dictionary gives the second meaning for it (russian
>"mechta").

I did some dictionary work, and came up with videt son, grezit' and 
mechtat' as translations for "dream". Looking closely, I get the 
impression that mechtat' is primarily used for "good dreams" (zabna 
senva). The dictionary also listed fantazia for the noun "dream", which 
seems to obvious stress the fantasy nature of dreaming, whether it is a 
good dream or a nightmare (mabla senva).

Reverie for me is a state of daydreaming, with a zabna sense of what is 
being dreamed of; I included it in the gismu list because unlike daydream 
it used a different root. We also use the phrases "zoned out" or "tuned 
out" as more modern and slangy versions of this without any particularly 
zabna sense.
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org