Subject: Re: junta [was: Re: [lojban] selma'o considered harmful

From: Robert McIvor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:22:58 -0400

On Thursday, August 16, 2001, at 01:33 AM, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) 
wrote:

> At 09:44 PM 8/15/01 +0000, Jorge Llambias wrote:BTW, noting that Lojban 
> defaults to using SI units in measurement, I
> intended that you can express such messes as g m/sec**2 (newton?) as 
> lujvo
> based on such tanru as ni bapli [kei] gradu and acceleration as ni sutra
> cenba [kei] gradu.
>
> This seemed better than JCB's approach, which in 1986-7 included adding
> gismu for "volt" and other commonly used units, though those additions 
> seem
> not to have made it into his revised Loglan 1 gismu list.
>
They may not have made it into the latest edition of Loglan 1, but 
all these units in a Loglanized form remained
in the dictionary. It is much more convenient to say that such and such 
newtons the number 2 than to explain it in
terms of fundamental SI units.
On the other hand, I believe JCB would have considered revri for 
all forms of E dreaming, but would have strongly
encouraged specification by the speaker/writer with lujvo to indicate 
the type of mental activity involved. Indeed, the current Loglan 
dictionary has the lujvo bad-dream (nightmare) awake-dream (daydream, 
reverie) dream-look (wonder) and awake-dream-desire (one sense of 
fancy). JCB was very fond of metaphor in luvo, such as time-stretching 
for boring.
Sincerely,

Robert A McIvor