Subject: "Web" [was: re: Literal and Metaphorical

From: "michael helsem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:57:04

First of all, it's very GLICYKAI to want one exact LUJVO that we use
everytime we refer to the thing that in English is called "the Internet", 
"the Web", "the Information Superhighway", "the Internet", "the Net", 
"Virtual Reality" & "Where I go when I should be doing work
on my office computer"... Why can't we be content with just using the
various appropriate TANRU for the distinctions we are making at the
moment? (Remember BRODA CEI for texts that use the same referent a
lot!) Why can't there be a dozen LUJVO? Why is this controversial?

I myself think it is TO'E LOBYKAI even to compile such a thing as
"THE Lojban-English/English-Lojban Dictionary". GISMU are not & will
never be GLIVLA SMUDUNLI. Creating such a body of mostly nonce
coinages will only further a misleading illusion that will surely not
outlast the first generation of LOBYTADNI. (But i know this project
means a lot to our respectability (SINMA GUBNI)in the outside world.
It is, then, a regrettable necessity, NALNELCI SE BILGA.)

It seems to me that since there is PE'A & since BRODA BRODE is
explicitly defined as a combination of BRODA with its places plus
BRODE with its places, we are left with (A) using in formal speech
BRODA BRODE or BRODA PE'A BRODE or BRODA BRODE PE'A or FU'EPE'A
BRODA BRODE FU'O regardless of how clumsy it seems to our GLIBAU
sensibility, in order to express the various things that a TANRU
can be; & (B) the informal possibly of occasionally dispensing with
PE'A where it can be understood as elidable (& isn't this simply what
LA XOD. is asking for?--correct me if i'm wrong)...

LUJVO, being also perhaps a sort of NALNELCI SE BILGA, will follow
their own Darwinian course--& i myself will choose the one that
sounds best to my ear; anyone else can pick theirs by different
criteria.

I want to put something like this on the Wiki, & hope thoughtful
rejoinders will be added so that the spectrum of opinion on this
can be studied by those without a definite position yet.

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp