Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Literal and Metaphor (was: pages)

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:35:54 -0700 (PDT)

Jorge writes:

>i xu lu mi ce do simfrica li'u cu smuni mintu i lo'i ficysi'u
>cu klesi lo'i simxu enai lo'i frica i pe'i ei lo'i simfrica
>cu klesi lo'i frica

You have hoist me with my own petard; congratulations. If I insist that a
selma'o is a se cmavo, then I must also use simxu as a suffix, not a
prefix.

The prefixal sim- is a habit I got into early on, because the mutuality is
semantically subordinate to whatever else goes on in the seljvo. But
obviously place structure is what really counts as semantics in Lojban, so
this is inappropriate. I had tried to formulate sim- as an exception to
this in my initial draft of the lujvo paper, but this was properly
rejected.

As to why I prefer simfrica (or fricysimxu), the reason is obvious:
natural language transference. This does not inherently make it malglico,
though.

And I do wish you'd insert periods. You're free not to; but I'm also free
to find your lerfu too undifferentiated to slough through. (I realise
you're not going to break a habit of umpty-umpt years, so I'm just saying
that for the record.)

-- 
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Nick Nicholas, Breathing {le'o ko na rivbi fi'inai palci je tolvri danlu}
[email-masked] -- Miguel Cervantes tr. Jorge LLambias