Subject: Re: [lojban] "Web" [was: re: Literal and Metaphorical

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 01:38:41 -0400

At 02:57 PM 8/17/01 +0000, michael helsem wrote:
>First of all, it's very GLICYKAI to want one exact LUJVO that we use
>everytime we refer to the thing that in English is called "the Internet",
>"the Web", "the Information Superhighway", "the Internet", "the Net",
>"Virtual Reality" & "Where I go when I should be doing work
>on my office computer"... Why can't we be content with just using the
>various appropriate TANRU for the distinctions we are making at the
>moment? (Remember BRODA CEI for texts that use the same referent a
>lot!) Why can't there be a dozen LUJVO? Why is this controversial?
>
>I myself think it is TO'E LOBYKAI even to compile such a thing as
>"THE Lojban-English/English-Lojban Dictionary". GISMU are not & will
>never be GLIVLA SMUDUNLI. Creating such a body of mostly nonce
>coinages will only further a misleading illusion that will surely not
>outlast the first generation of LOBYTADNI. (But i know this project
>means a lot to our respectability (SINMA GUBNI)in the outside world.
>It is, then, a regrettable necessity, NALNELCI SE BILGA.)

I am not unhappy that there are some English words in the draft dictionary 
files that are associated with dozens of Lojban words. The way to make 
your point and still to produce a dictionary is to exemplify the Lojban 
approach to things.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org