Subject: Re: [lojban] Brochure updates

From: Jim Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:19:35 +0100

Nick NICHOLAS wrote:
> Unlike the lessons, the brochure has not yet seen substantial review.
> People, *please* comment on it. I don't know what the LLG publication
> schedule is like, but the brochure is going to be published before the
> lessons are, so this has to be gotten right.

Do you want comments to the list or direct to you ?

I'd started reading it before you posted this, and I've already a few
things:

- Right at the start, the pronounciation of so'eroi is written
"soh-heh-ROI", but shouldn't it be "soh-HEH-roi" according to the
rules ?

- I have some trouble with the idea of syllabic constanants as
described. Why can't Carl, Miriam, Ellen and Burt be written {kal}
{miriam} {elen} and {byt} ? Is this my UK English showing ? I'm
also using Spanish pronunciation for `r' (as permitted according to
some other document) as I can't honestly see how to combine an
English `r' with the pure Spanish-style vowel-sounds. So {brt}
sounds like "burut". If they're only needed for names, no big deal
if I say them wrong, probably. Is it just me that's confused ?

- At the end of the phonology section, where it talks about stressing
the penultimate syllable, I think it would be worth mentioning here
that apostrophe counts as a syllable boundary, so {blari'o} is three
syllables. I was confused about this for some time until I found a
mention in the reference grammar.

Jim

-- 
Jim Peters (_)/=\~/_(_) Uazú
(_) /=\ ~/_ (_)
jim@ (_) /=\ ~/_ (_) www.
uazu.net (_) ____ /=\ ____ ~/_ ____ (_) uazu.net