Subject: Re: [lojban] Brochure updates

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:30:05 -0400

On Monday 20 August 2001 11:19, Jim Peters wrote:
> - Right at the start, the pronounciation of so'eroi is written
> "soh-heh-ROI", but shouldn't it be "soh-HEH-roi" according to the
> rules ?

It's a compound cmavo, and doesn't follow the rule for brivla. I normally say 
{so'eROI}, but {SO'eroi} is equally good. If a compound cmavo stressed on the 
syllable is followed by a three-syllable brivla, it can sometimes be 
misinterpreted, so you have to be careful with the juncture.

> - I have some trouble with the idea of syllabic constanants as
> described. Why can't Carl, Miriam, Ellen and Burt be written {kal}
> {miriam} {elen} and {byt} ? Is this my UK English showing ? I'm
> also using Spanish pronunciation for `r' (as permitted according to
> some other document) as I can't honestly see how to combine an
> English `r' with the pure Spanish-style vowel-sounds. So {brt}
> sounds like "burut". If they're only needed for names, no big deal
> if I say them wrong, probably. Is it just me that's confused ?

{byt} is "Butt" to me, not "Burt". My syllabic 'r' is as in American or 
Sanskrit or a weird sound that's perhaps Czech r-hacek or a trilled 'r' with 
the tongue backed off so that it doesn't trill; it is not the Spanish 'r' 
even though I usually use that for consonantal 'r'.

phma