Subject: Re: [lojban] Brochure updates

From: Jim Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:33:21 +0100

John Cowan wrote:
> > - Right at the start, the pronounciation of so'eroi is written
> > "soh-heh-ROI", but shouldn't it be "soh-HEH-roi" according to the
> > rules ?
> 
> There actually are no rules for stress in compound cmavo.

Okay, sorry - I took the stress rule to apply to all words. I guess
you're saying this could be written equally as {so'e roi} - if so, I
understand the difference now.

> > I'm
> > also using Spanish pronunciation for `r' (as permitted according to
> > some other document) as I can't honestly see how to combine an
> > English `r' with the pure Spanish-style vowel-sounds. So {brt}
> > sounds like "burut".
> 
> Well, if Serbians, Croats, and Bosnians can cope, why can't you? :-)

I can say three consonants in a row, yes, but it sounds like a machine
gun and nothing like any version of "Burt" unless I choose not to roll
the `r'.

Oh dear, I wrote half a page of protest, and then found it in the
reference grammar, so it's "Book".

I don't like this, but there is no point in complaining. However
looking at `r' as a Spanish `r' (as I am), I'm going pronounce
{KAtr'in} as {katrin} every time, because from that perspective,
you're asking me to turn an easily pronouncable consonant into a weird
murky vowel-sound because by some rule or other it is deemed syllabic.

{KAtr,in} == {katr} + {in} == {katrin} # I can say {katr}, Spanish `r'

Is there some clear rule to tell me that that `r' isn't a roll-able
`r' ? Is this rule easy to remember ?

This is really weird for an internationally-friendly language. I
think you'll be having to put up with mispronunciations of syllabic
consonants if/when this gets big.

Sorry to bring this up - I'll let it drop now.

Jim 

-- 
Jim Peters (_)/=\~/_(_) Uazú
(_) /=\ ~/_ (_)
jim@ (_) /=\ ~/_ (_) www.
uazu.net (_) ____ /=\ ____ ~/_ ____ (_) uazu.net