Subject: ... On second thought

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:46:12 -0700 (PDT)

As it turns out, there *is* a clarification to be sought on syllabic
consonants.

Americans don't say kar,l for Carl, either, right? Because there are not
two syllables in Carl. And "," stands for syllable break, not syllabic
consonant. So while Carl might arguably contain a syllabic l, notating
this as either /KAHR,l/ or /kar,l/ in the brochure section on syllabic
consonants (http://www.opoudjis.net/lojbanbrochure/brochure/phonol.html)
is misleading. In fact, now that I think of it, the l of Carl isn't
syllabic at all.

So does Carl illustrate anything here? Or should I drop it in favour of
Carol?

Or do Americans prounounce Carl as two syllables after all? Go on,
surprise me...

-- 
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Nick Nicholas, Breathing {le'o ko na rivbi fi'inai palci je tolvri danlu}
[email-masked] -- Miguel Cervantes tr. Jorge LLambias