Subject: Re: [lojban] Brochure updates

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:07:50 -0700 (PDT)

cu'u la djim.piters.

>I don't like this, but there is no point in complaining. However
>looking at `r' as a Spanish `r' (as I am), I'm going pronounce
>{KAtr'in} as {katrin} every time, because from that perspective,
>you're asking me to turn an easily pronouncable consonant into a weird
>murky vowel-sound because by some rule or other it is
>deemed syllabic.

>{KAtr,in} == {katr} + {in} == {katrin} # I can say
>{katr}, Spanish `r'

>Is there some clear rule to tell me that that `r' isn't a roll-able
>`r' ? Is this rule easy to remember ?

By default, r is not a syllable peak. If it is, you'll know by the
inserted comma. Which is only legal for names.

On the other hand, r may be pronounced both trilled and not; and both can
serve as syllable peaks. The rule is not whether it's rollable; it's
whether it's a separate syllable. The island of Krk is natively pronounced
with a trilled r; the name {brt} is natively (in America) pronounced with
an untrilled r. In Lojban, you do whichever is least painful to you.

And be relieved this only happens in names -- which are ipso facto *not*
internationally-friendly.

Oops, got anticipated by John. :-)

-- 
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Nick Nicholas, Breathing {le'o ko na rivbi fi'inai palci je tolvri danlu}
[email-masked] -- Miguel Cervantes tr. Jorge LLambias