Subject: Re: [lojban] Brochure updates

From: Jim Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:14:42 +0100

Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Monday 20 August 2001 17:28, Craig wrote:
> > >And fu'ivla, for which the same holds. And which the Esperantists love to
> > >use to polemicise about how unpronouncable Lojban is.
> >
> > Just ask them to say "postscio" sometime.
> 
> One test wordoid I came up with for vlatai was "maststststaka". That also 
> reminds me of a tongue twister I invented ...

Thanks to Pierre, John + Nick for clearing up my syllabic consonant
question - I'll be saying them Spanish-style, which means that some of
those American names are going to sound well weird, but at least I
know that I'm correct in saying them that way now.

The only point now regarding the brochure's coverage of pronunciation
is that it is obviously oriented towards English speakers, not
mentioning any of the other Lojbanically-correct options. There may
be others like me who are familiar with Spanish for whom a Spanish
style would be much more comfortable, and who would otherwise be
struggling. On the other hand the full list of alternative
pronunciations is huge. Perhaps a brief mention of the other
possibilities would be enough to send the reader to check out the
reference grammar on the 'net, which would resolve this whole thing
for me.

- - -

Anyway, regarding tongue twisters - has anyone invented any Lojban
tongue twisters yet ? {bangrblgaria} is fun, but not mind-bending on
the scale of the rhymes "She sells sea shells on the sea shore ..." or
"Peter picked a pep of pickled peppers ..." 

Jim

-- 
Jim Peters (_)/=\~/_(_) Uazú
(_) /=\ ~/_ (_)
jim@ (_) /=\ ~/_ (_) www.
uazu.net (_) ____ /=\ ____ ~/_ ____ (_) uazu.net